Meeting the co-founders of We Are Peers
I have met in person the co-founder and designer of @wapcommunity, Keya Luo, during We Are Peers sessions when I was involved in the four month program on agile project management at Le Cube. This is how We Are Peers, the French EdTech startup that deploys peer learning within organizations in France and Europe, caught my attention again. This startup was on my radar for a while when I was doing an environmental scanning in the learn-work space.
I just had never the chance to experiment their methodologies to co-create in 2-3 hours contents together within F2F learning circles powered by their technology / app wap.live.
The ultimate vision of We Are Peers is to be the go-to method and tool for mutual teaching. It is also about enabling anyone – not just educators, teachers, trainers and professional facilitators – to develop their autonomy when learning from each others.
Exploring Learning Innovation Space
Through in person and online conversations with Keya and Diane Lenne, the co-founders of We Are Peers, I am also exploring the vibrant EdTech ecosystem in France and Europe. With LearnSpace, the accelerator of European EdTech startups, Rhizome Paris, the innovation platform for HRTech, EdTech and work futures, and Le Cargo Paris, the startups accelerator center, and the upcoming Paris EdTech Days on 14-15th March 2019.
Of course, this ecosystem in education, and especially in workplace learning, is going beyond those hubs based in France as there are also organic ones through the Learning Tech France or the global ecosystem of modern workplace learning professionals. I have learned from game changing people in the innovation and learning space for a while, too.
Joining the WAP Community & Upskilling
— LVBG (@Louisitaa) 11 décembre 2018
The WAP Academy is here to help game-changing people to learn to lead, design and deploy peer learning programs within organizations. Within large corporations to business schools and cities in France and Europe. You can become a professional facilitator of peer learning programs while mastering the methodologies and technologies of We Are Peers. If you are a change agent, love peer learning, and to experiment innovative pedagogies and technologies, you may be interested.
This upskilling program has 3 blended learning (F2F and using the WAP technology) sessions of 3 hours, that spans over 3 months from 30th January until mid March 2019. So in total 8 hours of learning by thinking critically and doing together to become a master professional facilitator. It brings together a collective of professionals from diverse sectors, backgrounds, drives and with different skill sets, with one love for peer learning.
Session 1: Living the experience of peer learning – 30th January 2019
— Rotana Ty (@rotanarotana) 31 janvier 2019
Session 2: Designing the peer learning session – 20th February 2019
It was all about creating our own session from the learning methodology between peers. Diane guided us as facilitators in the choice of purpose and group and the framing of questions:
Defining the specific community and the goal of the session
● Which learning objective? (relational or technical skills …)
● How often and what format? (single event or semester program …)
● How to build an effective peer group?
● Framing our questions
Communicating on our session
● How to communicate with our participants?
● How to gain their attention? What’s in it for them?
Preparing our session
● How to prepare our facilitation?
● How to make a better use of the space? What technological materials to provide?
Session 3: Facilitating We Are Peers sessions – 13th March 2019
What we did:
We review the WAP sessions we experienced during the two previous sessions from January and February in terms of animation (feelings, successes, improvements)
“We have identified 7 key parameters to ensure the success of the sessions. Here they are.
- Definition of the goal with the coordinator and the participants
- Constitution and group profile
- Profile and role of the facilitator
- The framing and the progress of the questions
- The introduction of the context
- Logistics: place and materials
- Implementation of each step of the methodology”
We Are Peers Community & Academy — WIIFM?
As I am engaging within this community, my thoughts from this blog post resurface:
For the circles with facilitation, bring onboard like-minded and self-directed learners / doers, and let the professional facilitator does what he does well. Of course, it involves a personalized toolkit to enable F2F and online circles. It also implies to make sure that people are comfortable with collaborative and communication tools through a personalized and online doing session.
Joining the WAP Community and engaging through the WAP Academy and Community, it is also a meaningful way to engage within an offline and online community, to develop myself and collectively. What do I mean by ‘engagement’?
“Engagement skills are a core skill family for all community roles — without engagement fundamentals, it is impossible to understand or influence communities.” — @TheCR
So I am willing to learn and experiment from the WAP metholodogies and technologies to ‘lead, design and deploy peer learning within organizations’ in France and elsewhere, and see what the possibilities are to make positive impact happen in the learn work space. Stay tuned for more!
Peer Learning Sessions We Have Facilitated
- We Are Peers Session at HEP Education on soft skills and know-how mapping.
- We Are Peers Session on the future manager in the context of VUCA at ESM-A, French Management School. Photos of the workshop over here.
- We Are Peers Session Erasmus+ on co-creating an engagement kit with Démocratie Ouverte, Erasmus+ during #YouthWeek. You can also check out the photos of the workshop over here.
- Review on the deployment of a peer learning program in the learning department of Total at the first fair to bring together game initiatives from corporate universities, ‘For Us‘ at IFCAM, Crédit Agricole’s Group University with ‘We Are Peers’ team. Photos here and video here.
Discover more how to encourage and deploy peer learning within your organization to empower your people: wearepeers.com